Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Earthquake

We had a earthquake yesterday.

I have a habit of shaking my leg when I'm at the computer, Not sure why it's just something I do, maybe a cause of my A.D.D. or whatever. I have neighbors upstairs who move alot and can hear when they are walking, they shut their glass patio door and slam windows that are open, causes a loud shakey kind of movement and noise. I don't live in front facing the street but can still feel the rumbling from big trucks and what not driving by. I've lived here for going on 11 years so I'm used to it.

I was sitting at the computer like usual shaking my leg and in doing so a little vibration will set off where my bottle of water or even the computer screen will move a little. But this time it's the vibration came harder and as soon as I felt the sway (I'm on the bottom floor) It was one of those fight or flight modes, adrenaline kicking in, I'm pretty close to my front door and it was locked, took me a couple seconds to unlock and I ran outside. the weirdest shit is I actually felt the earth move like really fucken sway. I never felt that before.

I remember my first earthquake mid 80's I believe. I was living in Hollywood, I have the best memory it ain't even funny. I remember clearly putting on my Punky Brewster shoes (It doesn't get more 80's than that!) My mom threw me under the large round table. I just remember being there with my mom covering me. My mom is one of the most prepared people ever. She is a member of the Red Cross Relief Team, certified, trained, etc. She sleeps with a pair of tennis shoes and flash light literally by her bed. She's constantly checking batteries, and updating the earthquake kit, I have a complete first aid kit in my car, along with road flares, road cone, the orange jacket, lol fire distinguisher, extra clothes, etc..

Sometimes in my room I think about all the shit I have that can block my way out or topple on me. Someone asked me yesterday what my fear of an earthquake was? at first I was like wtf kind of question was that? oh gee I don't know something falling on me and I can't get up from, something happening to my mom, the apartment upstairs collapsing .. imagine the pain of figuring out who belongs to what? lol .

But then I really thought and I think it's the sound, it's the shaking, I'll always have the image of early 90's the Northridge quake? I believe ... and the earth just roaring, it's like the weirdest fucken feeling of the height of the earthquake, like a sound thunder, it's a being bigger then we are. It's something we can't control even if we tried. It's easy to predict the weather 2 weeks ahead but not an earthquake. They say were due very very shortly for the "BIG ONE" I seen images of the San Francisco quake? and I think one in the early 90's? I wonder if I will survive? will I get out in time? I heard Downtown L.A will be at least 10 feet high in just glass from all the buildings. Imagine if it was during the day? people that work on the 10th and higher? fuck that shit. I think sometimes when I'm in at a event, venue, club somewhere where the door exits are not near by.

I am so freaked out and shaken that I am going to sleep next to the front door. I have all my shit ready lol. I know very well never to run outside, but I dont give a FUCK! yea yea blah blah I know glass and what not could fall on me, but in that moment I won't even have time to think. It is what it is.


Here are some tips...


* Water and food to last at least three days (your car trunk is a handy place for these bulky items).







* Water purification tablets
* Heavy-duty gloves
* A first-aid kit
* A minimum of $100 in cash (automated teller machines and banks may be shut down following a quake)
* Family photos and descriptions (to aid emergency personnel in finding missing people)
* A flashlight and portable (or solar-powered) radio
* Extra batteries
* Goggles and dust mask
* A personal commode with sanitary bags

"The most important thing for human survival is water," says Frank Wong of Earthquake Outlet, an Albany (California) store that offers a comprehensive supply of earthquake-safety products. [For address and phone information on Earthquake Outlet, see resources.






]

"You should have at least five gallons of water stored in your hallway or back yard," adds Wong, "because after an earthquake hits, if you don't have a shut-off valve, the (tap) water will be contaminated within 12 hours.






"

Although it is likely water would be restored within 72 hours of a major quake, some areas might be dry for much longer.








After a major quake, remember that opening your refrigerator and freezer can be a judgment call if you have no electricity. If indications are that power will be restored within a day or so, most foods will be fine as long as you don't open freezer or refrigerator doors. If you think it's going to be a long emergency, however, you might as well consume foods while they last. Watch for spoilage, and toss anything that's suspect.








Here are some suggestions for basic sustenance to see you through the first few days after a disaster. Shelf life is indicated in parentheses.








* WATER: Store drums of water (about a half gallon per person per day; you'll need more for washing or if you have pets) in the hall closet or back yard. For water stored in store-bought containers, add a half-teaspoon chlorine bleach to five gallons to keep it good for one year. Or purchase in multi-year, sealed cases for less than $20 at stores such as Earthquake Outlet [see resources for more information].








Moist towelettes can reduce the need for bathing water. If water is shut off, ladle out the water from toilet tanks and hot-water heaters. Water purification tablets are available at sports and camping stores.








* BREADS & CEREALS: Keep crackers and cookies well packaged, preferably in tins (6 months). Stock up on ready-to-eat cold cereals (6 months). If you have ice cream melting in the freezer, pour it on the cereal. With even minimal cooking facil ities, instant or quick-cooking cereals (6 months) are warming as well as filling.








* DRY FOOD: For main dishes, instant soup cups and add-hot-water-and-steep dishes (6 months) are a real boon.








* CANNED FOOD: Even if you generally don't use much canned food, it is invaluable in an emergency. Just be sure you've got a manual can opener.








As with all emergency rations, cans or plastic containers are better than breakable jars. Canned fruit, vegetables, meat, poultry and fish (1 year) make for sturdy eating. Be sure to include items that can be eaten cold.








Sardines and Spam may not be on your usual menu, but they'll keep bodies fueled. Shelf-stable tofu (check pull date) is another great nutritious food.








* DAIRY PRODUCTS: Powdered milk (4 months) is versatile: You can use it for making instant puddings, chocolate milk, etc. Soy milk, plain or flavored, is widely available in shelf-stable cartons (check pull date), and canned or evaporated mil k (1 year) will fortify instant coffee.








Keep a generous rotating supply of cheese such as cheddar or Swiss in the refrigerator; it could give you several days of good protein and good eating.








* BEVERAGES & TREATS: In addition to basic drinking water, store fruit juices and prepared coffee or tea drinks in cans or cartons.








Stock instant coffee or tea drinks (1 year), canned puddings (1 year), whipped topping mixes, hard candies in cans and such snacks as dried fruit, nuts, pretzels, chips and ready-to-eat popcorn (check pull dates). They deliver some nutrition and will he lp morale.








These supplies are no help if you can't get to them. Make sure every household member knows where they are.










What To Do Before An Earthquake

In this section you can learn about earthquakes and what can do to protect yourself before an earthquake. Find out which earthquake kits and supplies you need along with other important steps to take before an earthquake like seismic fastening.







What To Do During An Earthquake

Do you know what to do during an earthquake? It's definitely something to include in your earthquake preparedness plan. Learn about what actions you can take to increase your chances of survival when the earth starts shaking.







What To Do After An Earthquake

If you have been fortunate to survive a catastrophic earthquake, you still won't be out of the clear yet. The days after an earthquake can be just as dangerous as the seismic event itself. Learn what you can do to survive after an earthquake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yea I was in a quake when I was a tike and I think about shit falling on me at night too lol Damn im glad I don't live in cali anymore..thats some paranoid shit